Thursday, May 24, 2012

SCUBA


Instructor Omi and me after a successful pool session
First Breath
Today I found myself at the beginning of a journey to a whole new world, a world down under.  After a long childhood and upbringing in the New Mexican desert, I now find myself surrounded by water in every direction.  From this view it becomes clear how 70% of the earth's surface could be covered by water.  That means, to remain on land limits oneself to only 30% of earth's natural beauty.  Today I took my first plunge toward exploring that other 70%.  I attended my first SCUBA lesson with my own private Mauritian instructor, Omi.  Omi spent 2 hours with me in a resort pool completing preliminary contained dive skills.  After successfully clearing water filled goggles, assisting out of air divers, and dealing with malfunctioning equipment, among other skills, I am now ready to head to the ocean for my first exploration dive.


No comments:

Post a Comment