Monday, June 11, 2012

Birthday Surprise

Last year I celebrated my 21st birthday with a knee surgery and crutches.  That put a heavy damper in the usually highly celebrated occasion.  This year, as a consolation, I am claiming the entire summer for my birthday.  It just so happens that I am residing on an exotic island paradise during that period.  Makes for a pretty sweet birthday.  But in a complicated turn of events, I received even more reason to celebrate.  In leaving the United States for this worldly adventure, I regrettably said goodbye to my beautiful girlfriend, Jena, for the three month summer.  On Thursday, that goodbye turned into a mere two week separation.  At 6am I sat at the airport anxiously awaiting the arrival of the greatest present of my birthday summer.


Jena and I have quickly embraced the excitement of our adventurous summer.  On her first full day here we explored the depths of our new backyard, enjoying the sights of bright coral, parrot fish, Moorish Idols, and schools of convict fish.  On her second day, to enjoy water of a different form, we headed south to the Eureka Waterfalls.  We endured the chilly water for a fun day of hiking and splashing around in the cascading water.  Finally, I let her slow down and take a day of relaxation and tanning on the beach before she started her first week of work as a political intern at the United States Embassy.  I eagerly look forward to two more months of shared adventure with my favorite birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment